Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Runner Girl

In conjunction with a 5K charity race that I am thinking about running in May, there is a kid's 1K (.62 mile) race. I was thinking of entering Abby in it, but I was curious to see how far she could run without stopping and I am pretty eager to see if I can train her to go the entire distance. After seeing her mommy run two marathons, Abby has wanted to do a race of her own for quite some time so I'm thinking this may be her time to shine!!
Abby and I ready to head out on our very first "run" together. First we do some dynamic stretches to warm-up...
High knees...
And hip circles...

And we're off...

Look at that big smile. See, running is fun!!

A long distance shot of mommy-daughter running!!

She actually fared pretty well. She made it .25 miles before she tripped and skinned her knee. We then had to walk/run the next .75 miles before she looked down at her slightly scraped up knee and had a minor panic attack. It took us about 18 minutes to finish 1 mile (world-record, here we come, LOL!!) I was proud of her for finishing despite the small casualty she suffered. I think we'll try running together a couple of times a week to prepare for her first race.
I have to admit though that I was probably more excited about running with Abby than she was about running with me!! I hope my children develop a love of running so that we can go on many family runs together in the future. Landon already has a head start on most people...he's already run a marathon (granted it was inside my womb, but he was there!!!)


6 comments:

Amy said...

What a great family activity! She looks so cute warming up with you. Go ABBY!

Becky said...

Your daughter can already outrun me. lol. Very cute!

Kerri said...

how fun!

Marissa Marie said...

That's cute. She can outrun me right now too!

Melissa said...

I looove her little leotard and running shorts. So cute. Way to push through the pain Abby! :)

Alona said...

That's so cute and what a cool idea to have a kids' race.