Monday, November 25, 2013

Annapolis Half Marathon

I suffered a pretty serious hamstring injury in August which took me a while to recover from. I really wanted to do a Fall race, but wasn't sure if I would heal in time to fit one in. At the beginning of October, I had a really good, pain-free 8-miler so I immediately checked out the local half-marathons to see if I could fit one in. I found one in Annapolis near the end of November and signed up with just a few weeks to get myself ready for it.

On Saturday, November 23rd, I ran my 5th Half Marathon. We stayed in a hotel near the race since we had never been to Annapolis before and the race was scheduled to start at 7 a.m. Annapolis is a gorgeous city, but the course itself left a bit to be desired (out and back with lots of little side streets and turn around points.) My main goal was to run a strong a consistent race and hopefully finish under two hours. I ended up averaging an 8:44 pace and every mile except for the first one (weaving for position), I was within 10 seconds of that time. I felt strong all the way to the end and felt great about my efforts.
 
I am so thankful for a healthy body that allowed me to race. Coming back from an illness or an injury always makes you appreciate your health so much more!

2 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

You are impressive. I just can't understand how anybody can enjoy running. I wish I had that love of running in me but I haven't gotten bitten by that bug yet. You are awesome!!! Way to go!! I am super impressed with how fast you ran it as well as how long you run. I ran with a girl in Bryan at the High School and she was trying to train me. She wanted us to run a 2 min 400. I felt like I had to sprint to do it and that was only once around. After the third and four laps I was dragging. That is just slightly faster then what you did and you did it for 13 miles!!!! Holy Cow Girl!!!! GREAT JOB!!!

Rachel B. said...

That's great, Dadra! And I've sure missed you in the blogging world!