Monday, June 9, 2014

Family Camping

Over Memorial Day weekend we went on our very first family camping trip. Jason has taken all three kids out at various times (backyard, Father/Son Campoust and Ward Campouts) but I usually take one or more children back home and sleep in my nice comfortable bed. I like the "idea" of camping but can't really get into the nitty-gritty aspects of it (sleeping outside, bugs, heat/cold, feeling dirty, etc.) We finally had a nice Friday night weather-wise with no Saturday morning obligations so we went for it.

We stayed at a campground at Caledonia State Park, just across from us in Pennsylvania. It was gorgeous and a great place to stay for our first camping trip.

There were lots of streams, bridges, and little hiking trails that we enjoyed exploring on Friday evening after setting up camp.


We roasted hot dogs for dinner...

And enjoyed a s'mores treat before the night was over!


It was a bit chilly that night, but we all stayed warm in our tent and sleeping bags. Of course we were all up before 6 a.m. on Saturday which allowed us to break camp and then do some more exploring (the kids stayed in their warm fleece pajamas since we forgot coats...whoops!!)


The playground area was a bonus...

Can you see three little munchkins at the top of this old building?


We hiked about 4 miles in the morning before driving back to Hagerstown.


This little one even walked most of the way, although Daddy's shoulders provided a lift every now and then!!
I would say our first family camping trip was a success. I think we'll try to get in one more before this baby comes, but it's heating up fast so we'll see if it actually happens!!

1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

I actually slept outside in a tent at our family reunion and preferred that over staying in the house probably because I had my own space in my tent but I kind of enjoyed it. I am really looking forward to our ward camp-out in September. I hope it doesn't get cancelled like it did last year. We have never been to a ward camp-out so I REALLY want to go.
So glad yours was successful!!!