Friday, July 21, 2017

Visit to the ER

On Thursday, July 20th around 3 p.m. we were watching a movie in the basement when Nolan started playing around on the couches. I told him to stop and a few seconds later I heard a big "thump." He had fallen off the big sofa chair backwards and landed right on the back of his head. It is a pretty hard floor so he was definitely in some pain, but this kid has had several head injuries so I didn't think much of it. He did fall asleep about 10 minutes later. Unusual, but still not alarming. Then about 2 hours later he started complaining about a headache and feeling nauseous. I was a bit concerned when he wouldn't touch any of his favorite dinner (pancakes and eggs) so I called up his pediatrician. Given the symptoms experienced thus far, he recommended going in to the After Hours clinic. Of course Jason had been out of town all week, so I got all the kids in the car and headed on over. By this point I had also noticed his pupils were different sizes which had me concerned. But I still thought they would check him out at the After Hours clinic and then send us on home. Instead we were sent to the ER!

Luckily a friend who lives near the hospital was able to watch the other three kids while I took Nolan in. We have been parents for over 11 years with 4 children and never had an ER visit so we do feel very blessed and lucky in this regard. By the time he got in for the CAT scan, he was feeling better, his eyes had normalized, and he was back to his crazy self.
The CAT scan came back normal. He was diagnosed with a mild concussion and we were sent home around 10:30 p.m. It was a long night, but I was so grateful my little Nolan man was okay. Now here's to hoping he will stop jumping around the furniture!

No comments: