Monday, October 22, 2018

Temple Trip

With the closing of the Washington D.C. temple for renovation, Abby hadn't had a chance to do proxy baptisms yet since she turned 12 last February. But she finally got her opportunity when our ward rented a bus and took all the youth on a temple trip to the Philadelphia Temple on Friday, October 19th since there was no school that day.

As 1st Counselor in the Bishopric, Jason organized this trip and all the logistics of taking youth, adults, and chaperones on a temple trip 4 hours from home. He also helped pack lunches for all 60 people who went along!


Each of the youth were encouraged to bring along their own family names to perform baptisms and I think this made the trip even more meaningful. Abby loved her first experience in the temple and here is what she had to say about it...

"My whole life I have learned about the gospel, and I've come to gain my own testimony about it. but I think it got stronger the day I went to the temple. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was better than I imagined. I had to wait a while for my turn, but each time, I liked to imagine that there were spirits stepping out of the font every time a baptism was done, and that they were exclaiming for joy, and the fact that they were now one step closer to living with God. I saw 2 new converts, baptized only weeks ago do baptisms for there family members, such as parent, and grandparents. Then it was my turn. I stepped into the font, and I instantly felt a strong overwhelming sense of the spirit. As I did my 5 people, I know that they were so proud and happy that I was doing some work for them. The administering of the Holy Ghost was equally as special. And although I know it would have been better if they had gotten it here on earth, it just made it more special that I was able to do it for them. I know that through the power of the priesthood, more people will be able to enter in the kingdom of God. I can't wait to go back!"

No comments: