Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Abb's First Haircut

Okay, so technically Abby has had a haircut before since I regularly trim her bangs, but she had never gone someplace to take any length off the back of her hair before. We had been growing it out for a while, and by this summer, it had grown to about the middle of her back.

Last Sunday, Abby decided that she had had enough of her long hair. I was talking on the phone with my parents and Jason wasn't home. Abby disappeared for a few minutes, but she often will go and play by herself for long periods of time so I didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later I was walking around the house and I kept finding these big globs of hair. At first I thought they might be from our dog Maya, but as I ventured up the stairs and kept finding more and more little tufts of hair, my heart began to sink. When I walked into the bathroom, this is what I found on the floor...
Then I heard a little voice behind me say, "Mom, I cut my hair!" and I turned around to see a huge chunk of hair missing from the left side of Abby's head and several more really short pieces all over. I sank down onto the floor and started to cry! Yes, I cried over Abby's once-beautiful head of hair that had just been hacked off. Abby patted me on the shoulder and said "Mommy, it's okay."
The next day I took Abby to a hairdresser in town and they were able to make her hair look pretty cute despite the chunks that you can still see missing from her head. She actually looks adorable in her new short haircut and seems so much more grown-up now.

What a little stinker!!

6 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Little stinker is right! Oh my gosh though what a funny story to look back on. Why does every kid seem to think they need to do this at some point? I chopped mine off too when I was little too because my dad used to tease me about how long my hair was and how much easier boy hair was. I'm pretty sure my mom at least tried to kill him. Abby sure does look cute with the short do though. That's so cute that you cried. I probably would have done the same.

Marisa said...

That is so sad! She really does look cute in her short hair, though. It makes her look so much older. What a cute, adorable little stinker!

Stephanie said...

At least hair grows back. I love that she tried to console you as you were crying over her hair.

losing my needles said...

I did the same thing when I was little, (but older than Abby) The problem was, I did it right after my mom had just paid to have my hair cut really cute. Oh well, I guess I didn't like it as much as she did. Or maybe I liked getting my hair cut so much I didn't want it to end.

Cranberryfries said...

Hey Dadra! I couldn't help but comment on this one! :) I just had to say it's an emotional time when a little girl decides to cut her hair. My niece did it so I made sure to tell Kalyana over and over that only mommy's cut hair. She'd tell me that every time she saw scissors. She still did it too though. Hopefully it's like a burn though. Once they experience it they'll know they wont want to do it again. Hopefully. :) Cute new haircut!!

Alona said...

Oh man! She is a little stinker! :) That's funny, though. Thank goodness for hair dressers and cute little girls, though! :)