Monday, April 20, 2009

In Honor of Boston...

Today is the 113th running of the Boston Marathon, the oldest and by popular opinion, the most prestigious marathon in the world. The Boston Marathon is one that you can only run (except in special cases) if you run a qualifying time in a previous marathon during the preceding year. For runners, it is the "creme de la creme" of our sport and definitely deserves special recognition. Especially since for the first time in MANY years, an American woman (Kara Goucher) and an American man (Ryan Hall) have legitimate chances of finally beating the Kenyans/Ethiopians on our own turf. How cool would that be?!?!?! So good luck to all of you 25,000 runners who qualified to run it this year. You Rock!!!





In honor of the Boston Marathon, I completed my 400th mile this year!! Yeah for me...but I can't let that get to my head too much. In order to qualify for the Boston Marathon, I would need to run a 3:40 marathon time for my age group (the equivalent of running an 8:27 mile for 26.2 miles!!) The good news is that my one and only marathon time would qualify me for Boston!!! The bad news is that I would need to be over the age of 80!! BOOOOO!! (Maybe they would take the fact that I was 3 months pregnant into account, hmmmm!!!)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're funny! Those runners truly are amazing! I had a mission companion who ran the Boston Marathon (she also ran XC at Harvard) and I was so envious of her. Just running a marathon is an accomplishment though, don't dwell too much on your time; although maybe by the time you're 80 you can run the Boston ;)
I know you were thinking of running one this year; have you decided for sure on that? My sister ran the Marine Corp "beat the bridge" marathon and she really like it. It's in your area, you should look it up. Congratulations on 400 miles!

Amy said...

You are STILL truly, TRULY amazing. I think the 3 months pregnant thing TOTALLY should count!

Melissa said...

Yeah, I still dream about the Boston. If I could keep the pace for a full marathon that I do with my best time at a half marathon, I could do it. :) Of course my best time is before having a baby, so who knows. But maybe, someday, in the not so distant future I can do it...and you can join me. (But holy cow, running a marathon while pregnant? That is truly amazing!)

newsinaminute said...

congrats!! that is not for the weak hearted--so PROUD of ya
way to go
aunt lynda and uncle bryan

Alicia said...

I hope you're able to qualify. Mo ran the Boston Marathon one year. Maybe if you are training for it he will too!