Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vacation Part 2 -- Wyoming

After spending a few days in Colorado with my parents, we headed up north to Wyoming for the main reason of our trip, a Cleveland family reunion at Martin's Cove. For a few hours, we experienced just a small part of what our ancestor's did by pulling handcarts across the plains in order to settle in the Salt Lake Valley. (Of course our journey was made much easier in the fact that it was only a few miles long, we had nice clothes, shoes and food to eat and we only carried a small load in the handcarts we pulled. Plus the temperature was a perfect 70 degrees outside so we didn't have to contend with bitter cold, wind and frostbite.) This was my third time in Martin's Cove, and each time I am left with a profound respect and appreciation for those early Saints who sacrificed so much in order that we may enjoy the fruits of the gospel today.
Abby and her cousins pulled a miniature handcart to start off our journey (my mom made bonnets, hats, shirts, scarfs and dolls to help create a somewhat pioneer look for us all. My sisters and I complained a bit about wearing the bonnets, but they actually were great for keeping the sun off our faces)...
Stopping for lunch. Landon was completely tuckered out by the whole experience, and he didn't even have to walk any of it!!

Martin's Cove...

My awesome brother-in-law Ben who ended up pulling this handcart by himself (with four kids inside, mind you) up this sandy hill...

Devil's Gate...

It was a great family reunion and it was great to be reminded of what an amazing legacy we all share in. After returning to Grand Junction, we had a couple more days to chat, hang out and just relax with my whole family. We had such a wonderful time out West and can't wait to go back again!!

2 comments:

losing my needles said...

The pioneers also did not have coolers to keep their lunches in.
And I'm a little disapointed that there are no pictures of you wearing the bonnet properly.

Melissa said...

Martin's Cove is a neat place. I've gone there for a couple family reunions and always enjoyed it. It's amazing what those handcart companies went through for the gospel's and their families' sake. And I love how you said you guys came 'out West.' :)