Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to School

I have to pause in our vacation journaling to record the significant event that occurred today...the first day of school!! Our summer flew by way too fast this year. It seems like a blinked and summer was already over. Abby was excited about starting school again and seeing all of her friends, but not quite as excited as she was last year (I guess having a year to see what school was REALLY like can do that to you!!)
 
Last night, Jason gave her a father's blessing. She especially wanted to be blessed with making good friends and earning a "4" everyday (the points system that her school uses.) She earned a handful of 3's last year and it completely devastated her (each time it happened she was in tears when she got off the bus. The point system really works with this girl.)
 
Of course Landon didn't want to be left out of the action and also asked for help making new friends and to get "4s" each day (he doesn't even know what that really means but Abby is his little idol so we went with it!) We are looking at getting Landon into a Pre-K program sometime this year. I'm still hoping he can get into the county program (namely because it's an awesome program and it's FREE) but since we're over the income eligibility, we'll just have to see if any spaces open up during the year.
 
The BIG day arrived today and Abby was raring to go. S he picked out her first day of school outfit. Her only requirement was that it "sparkle." She literally sparkled from her head to her toes and she was in heaven. About 95% of Abby's clothes come from her cousin Paige and other friends/neighbors. She LOVES getting the hand-me-downs and I love the cost (free) so it's a win-win for us all. I do break down on the first day of school though and get her a complete outfit of her choosing. I personally would have gone with a bit less "bling" but that's my girl Abby for you and it fit her to a T!!
 
Landon wanted to be included in a few pictures too. He was putting on a brave face for us here...he had a hard time letting her go back to school again. They have been the best of friends this summer (at least most of the time!)
 
 
 
I think her backpack weighed about as much as she does with all of her school supplies stuffed in there!!
 
We absoutely love the school she goes to and are so excited to see what 1st grade has in store for her.
 
She will be in Mrs. Mullendore's class (although her teacher is just weeks away from having a baby so she'll have another teacher shortly.)
 
I'm sure going to miss this girl while she's back in school again but I'm excited for all the new and amazing things she will learn this year. Have a great year little lady!!

1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

I feel the same way. I like having my little boy home but I like that he gets to learn and experience different things at school. I think I was more excited for school to start then Matthew but that doesn't mean he wasn't excited. We did move schools so that could be part of my excitement. Yay for first grade:)