Friday, April 18, 2014

How we did General Conference this year...

So we tried something a bit different for General Conference this year. I normally print out the Conference packets that you can find all over the Internet. Those usually work for about one or two sessions, but then they finish them up, or get bored, or start playing, or Nolan rips them up, or ....you get the idea.

So I saw this idea somewhere with different words and candies to match and each time that word is said, they get to pick out a candy from that bucket (but only if they are listening...the key part of this whole thing!!) We picked five different words and used different items in each bucket to vary it up a bit (Skittles, M&Ms, Goldfish, Fruit Snacks, and Froot Loops...we were going with a "rainbow" theme.) We also hung up all the pictures of the apostles/prophet around the fireplace and after they spoke, we put their picture on top of the mantle. This idea worked miraculously as Abby and Landon both lasted through all four sessions of Conference. Nolan was still a little young, but the older kids helped him and he even caught some of the words himself!! We had a few talks where they got a TON of candy and they still talk about those talks and how good they were!! Yeah, it's basically bribery, but it gets them listening to and learning from our church leaders, and I am so not above bribing my kids at this point in their lives!!

They have already asked if we can do this for every General Conference from now on so I think we have a new tradition in our house!
 

Of course no Conference would be complete without making their Conference Tent too!!
Such a wonderful weekend of spiritual enlightenment and not having to "shush" our children multiple times throughout the two days made it even better. I found it funny that they were often "shushing" each other so that they could hear better!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That's awesome Dadra! I love when you find something that works for your kids. And I am not above bribery or candy either. My kids also told me their favorite talks were the ones they got lots of candy. :)

Steph Thomas said...

Ok, so this kind of makes me feel really good. I think you are an incredible mom and the fact that I did this too, makes me feel really awesome about myself:) Yours was done better but still:) Some may call it bribery, others call it rewarding for listening. It made my kids listen so much better as well. I also really loved your rainbow theme and putting their pictures up there.