Thursday, May 1, 2014

Running for Two!!

After my half marathon in November, I decided I needed a Spring race to keep me motivated to run during the winter months. A LOT of my runs were done on the treadmill because of our dreadful winter, but I was able to keep my endurance up throughout all those icy, snowy days. In mid-January we found out I was pregnant (We actually found out the day before I turned 34...we had been trying for well over a year and were both starting to think that maybe our family of five was meant to stay that way when we got those two precious pink lines on the pregnancy test!!) I knew that having a race in mind would keep me running through the torturous first trimester too (It was pretty bad, definitely my worst first trimester ever and I still battle bouts of nausea even at 20 weeks although it has gotten much, much better.) Fortunately running and working out made me feel somewhat normal so I never had to miss a workout. I actually really enjoy running races while pregnant because it takes the pressure off a bit. I don't run for a PR, but instead just to finish. I found a race just 10 minutes away in Pennsylvania that would be held when I would be 18 weeks along, and signed myself. 

This was not an easy half-marathon. Definitely the hilliest and most challenging course I have ever run but the weather was gorgeous and the scenery was beautiful. 

These first few pictures were taken around mile 9...I actually felt REALLY good through the first 10 miles. I used the 9:1 run/walk method (run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute) and it worked really well for me. I would use the minute walk breaks to drink some water and/or each a fruit chew to make sure I was staying hydrated and electrolyte-filled!



The final 3 miles were tough, I was just ready to be done by that point. There was a major hill at mile 11 that nearly everyone had to walk up because it was so steep and then the final mile was all gradual uphill. It was pure guts that got me to that finish line...but I DID IT!!

I finished in 2:08 (a 9:44 min/mile pace) and was so happy to be done. I don't see any more races happening during this pregnancy (maybe a 5K, but nothing much longer) so it felt good to get it done!!

I had my biggest cheerleaders there to cheer me on and they even made a cute fun posters to help spur me on! Afterwards, there was a rockwall that both of the older kids attempted before we headed home.


I hope to continue running as long as possible with this pregnancy. I worked out until the day I delivered both Landon and Nolan and I really felt it helped make labor, delivery, and recovery so much easier. 

Hard to believe that we're already halfway there now!!

3 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Amazing, Dadra! Sounds like you're doing it smart with the whole run/walk method. Great job momma!

Rachel B. said...

P.S. So happy that that 4th little miracle is joining your family!

Steph Thomas said...

I really wish I could put your motivation for working out into me. I don't want to just work out I want to play sports. I don't know what I need to motivate myself. Glad you were able to finish. It makes me feel better that you did a 9:1 thing because I always think that if I don't run the whole thing then I didn't actually do it. Keep posting things like this, it help make me think that maybe I can do this.