Tuesday, April 21, 2015

General Conference Store!

I am always looking for fun ideas to keep my kids engaged during General Conference. I want it to be something that they look forward to every six months and sometimes it's difficult for even adults to pay attention for all 8-10 hours of Conference over a two day period. This year I created a little store with candy, games, juice, and small toys and gave each item a price. They started off the first session of Conference on Saturday with $2 in Conference Cash and earned $1 for each talk that they listened to reverently and could tell me what the talk was about (they took notes during each talk to help remind them...first time we've had little note-takers at Conference which was pretty incredible in and of itself!)

So how did it work out? It was FANTASTIC!!! Abby and Landon did such a great job listening to almost every talk and earned their money to buy things they really wanted. As long as Nolan was fairly reverent during the talk, he earned a $1 too and he really loved shopping at the store (I let them make purchases during the congregational hymn and then again at the end of each session.)

My kids loved this so much that they are already talking about doing it again in October. Jason was pretty skeptical about the whole thing when I first starting setting things out, but the amazing behavior of our kids during all four sessions convinced him it was a pretty awesome idea after all!!

1 comment:

Rachel B. said...

This really is a great idea! I'll have to try it next GC!