Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Biggest Loser

Anybody who knows me well, knows I am a pretty big fan of this show. I follow it pretty much every season and love to see the dramatic transformations that can take place through proper nutrition and exercise (so I know that the exercise part is taken to the extreme, and that they literally put their lives on hold in order to exercise all day, every day, but it is still pretty amazing!)
I keep thinking it would be a great idea for them to take average Joe/Jane and train them (with Bob & Jillian of course) to become ripped, toned, and perhaps even a world-class athlete. The reason I think this would be a good idea is because I totally want to be on the show and trained by Bob and Jillian but I also don't want to have to gain 100 pounds in order to do so!!
So since my idea will probably never take off, I have joined my gym's "Transformation Challenge" this year. It starts this week and lasts for 10 weeks. Yesterday I had all of my measurements taken (weight, body fat percentage, lean muscle mass, body measurements, etc.) and in 10 weeks I will have it all taken again to see how much I have improved. I will be working with trainers along the way for tips and classes on proper exercise and nutrition for my body type. The winner gets a pretty hefty cash prize and the 2nd and 3rd place finishers get some free personal training sessions. I really have no hope of winning (last year's winner lost like 60 pounds!!) but I thought this would be a great way to motivate me to start 2010 in a healthy way. I have a few pounds I would like to lose, but mostly I want to firm up those jiggly areas!!
So in 10 weeks, hopefully I'll see some improvement. I've also created a new fitness goal for 2010. Last year I ran over 1200 miles, but I wanted to diversify a bit more so my new goal is to reach 2010 miles on the cardio machines (treadmill/eliptical/stationary bike/rowing machine/stairmill) and by biking and running outside. It's a pretty lofty goal (average of 40 miles every week of the year) but it's good to have a challenge.
Happy 2010 everyone!! I have a feeling it's going to be a great year...

4 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Dadra, there is no doubt in my mind that you will achieve those goals. I know I've told you several times that you are the most dedicated and determined person I know. Although I do have to say that I have a hard time believing you have any jiggly areas.

Marissa Marie said...

I've often wished they had a Biggest Loser for the average Joe as well! I know Bob and Jillian could kick my butt into gear!

You should post some of the tips you learn from your trainers...so I can cheat off you when I'm allowed to work out again. :) Good luck!

Melissa said...

I was watching The Biggest Loser last night and totally thinking the same thing! Well...maybe not the show idea, but at least the thought that I wanted to train with Bob and Jillian, but I didn't want to be really obese to get the chance. I think it would be awesome to see what they could do in the same amount of time with a normal Joe though. Good luck with all your goals! And I'm with you on the jiggly areas...I don't necessarily want to lose weight, but why can't I get the jiggle out? It seems to want to stick around. Here's to a healthy, excersise-ful 2010!

Stephanie said...

You should write in and suggest it. Then, if they like the idea maybe they'll be more likely to pick you since it was your idea!

I really like the show, but it is so sad to see them continue to have the "biggest contestant ever" each year. And then to kick some of them out the first day before they've even had a chance to train.

Anyway, I wouldn't feel as bad if it were fit people. They have spin offs of a lot of shows - why not this one? Plus, I'd like to see how Bob and Jillian train when given a healthy individual.

Good luck with your challenge. Keep us posted. I agree with Rachel though, it's hard to believe that you have any jiggly areas.