Monday, June 21, 2010

Taking a Bite out of the Big Apple...

We had the great opportunity to spend last weekend in New York City (and thanks to my sister Tasha, we were even able to make it a kid-free weekend!! We totally owe you for that!!)
We left Friday morning and saw the New York skyline for the first time while waiting for the ferry in New Jersey. This picture was taken where a 9/11 memorial will be built. (The two lines lead out to where the two towers were across the river.)

I can't even imagine what that must have looked like that fateful day...

We had great weather for our trip, an overcast sky and temperatures in the 70s. PERFECT!!

Our first stop was to Liberty Island to get up close and personal with Lady Liberty herself.

Next time we'll try to get crown tickets (they were sold out until September!!) but we still had a nice view...

Our lame attempt at a self portrait...

Me in New York City!! (Okay not exactly in NYC, but getting closer!!)

Another self portrait shot (Can you see New York behind us? Of course you can't, there are two huge heads in the way!!)

The rest of the afternoon we forgot our camera so you'll just have to imagine us visiting...
1. Empire State Building
2. Times Square
3. Broadway
4. Rockefeller Center
5. World Trade Center Site
6. Wall Street
7. Trinity Church
8. Carnegie Hall
8. The Subway (that was an adventure in itself!!)
Our hotel was right in Times Square, a perfect location that allowed us to see a lot in a short amount of time!!
The next morning we got up early and ran in Central Park (I've always wanted to run in Central Park and finally got my wish.) It was truly everything I imagined it would be and so much more. I think Jason and I both agreed it was our favorite place in NYC and we could spend days just seeing all there is to do there. We also got to witness the finish line of the New York Mini 10K where we saw Linet Masai from Kenya take first place, crossing the finish line in 30:48 (a measly 4:58 per mile!!) I think it was my first time seeing an elite world-class athlete cross the finish line and it was pretty inspiring. Her feet barely touched the ground as she ran.
Okay, so enough about running...
I did manage to get one picture on Saturday morning of the craziness that is Times Square. Thousands of people, thousands of things to see and do...I just love that place!!

Our final New York adventure was the real reason for our trip... tickets to see the Yankee v. Astros game at Yankee Stadium (Jason's birthday present this year.) Jason is a huge Astros fan so he was a bit disappointed by them getting slaughtered by the Yanks, but we LOVED being in Yankee Stadium and the whole experience that it was for us.


If you love baseball, Yankee Stadium is a must-see, just for all that it represents to the game...




After the game, we headed back home to discover that our kids did great with my sister and her family for the weekend.
So did we enjoy New York City? Let's just say we're already making plans to go back. It has definitely topped my list of favorite places to visit!!

6 comments:

Rachel B. said...

So absolutely jealous! I LOVE New York City. Tom and I are trying to make plans to go there for our 10th anniversary. :( How nice for you to be so close. What a fun trip!

Amy said...

That looks like a ton of fun!

Jennifer said...

LOVE NEW YORK!!! Spent a Thanksgiving there. Looks like you had tons of fun!

Melissa said...

Looks like you guys had fun! My hubby and I have both wanted to visit the Big Apple. What a great couples trip. :)

Steph Thomas said...

Kid-free weekend in NYC=incredible!!! We got to be there for a day and it was crazy...especially having kids, was hard. What a NICE trip.

Stephanie said...

What fun! Happy Birthday Jason and what a great birthday present! I really want to go to NYC, but Damien has no desire. I have a friend who lives there, I really should plan a girls getaway weekend. Love the self portraits!