Monday, March 25, 2013

Easter Week -- Day 1

I have been wanting to emphasize the spiritual aspects of Easter for my children and have our celebration of this special holiday be more Christ-centered. I found this great idea on a blog I follow here: http://powerofmoms.com/2013/03/easter-week-ideas/ that incorporates learning about Christ during the entire week preceding Easter and emphasizes some of the events the occurred during the last week of Christ's life on earth.
 
So we started "Day 1" last night by talking about "Palm Sunday." We read from Matthew 21:1-11 and explained how Jesus was returning to Jerusalem and arrived on a donkey while the people threw clothes at his feet and waved palm branches while crying "Hosana." We acted this all out, complete with our own "palm leaves"...
 
And each child got to take a turn riding in on a donkey (Daddy!) while the rest of us would wave our "palm leaves" and shout Hosana. 
 
The whole thing took less than 10 minutes and was very simple, but I hope that incorporating these things into our Easter celebration this week, our children will have a greater appreciation for this sacred holiday and realize that it is about so much more than the Easter Bunny.

2 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

Great idea. You do them, post them and then next year when we are actually focusing on Easter I can refer to these great ideas:)

Amy said...

I've been catching up on your blog and I love all these Easter ideas. I've been wanting to do something similar. I'll have to bookmark your references! Thanks!