Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Week with Grandma and Grandpa

We brought my parents home with us to Maryland after our beach vacation. This little man was so tired from all the action of the week before that he fell asleep in church, something that rarely happens these days...


Abby and Landon both loved being cuddled by Grandma in the evening. I think it brought back some good babyhood memories!





I am always so grateful for the memories that we make with grandparents when they visit. I think the only regret that we have about living in Maryland is the distance that we are from both sets of grandparents.

Abby loved sharing her piano/singing talents (and Nolan enjoyed getting in on the jam sessions too!)
 
Abby loved having Grandma do her hair and especially loved this twisted braid bun that they had seen in a magazine...


My mom uses these curlers to set her hair everyday, but the kids thought they made great raw material for building interesting creations!


Our dog Maya loved having my Dad take her for walks everyday. Maya has never been the best walker but my Dad did his best to straighten her out a bit while he was here.


While I took the boys for check-ups at the doctor, Grandma and Abby got working on their creative talents. (On a side note: Landon survived his shots and blood draw and is now officially ready for kindergarten to start. School starts a month from today but I am trying to remain in denial that summer will ever end. We are having way too much fun!)
 
On Monday night, Abby got to show off some of her newly acquired gymnastics skills for her grandparents.
 

(Man that girl is flexible!)

After retuning home from gymnastics, we had our FHE out at the firepit and roasted s'mores. Can you believe that my Dad had never roasted s'mores before? Good thing we were able to show him how it is done!
 


On Tuesday we took my parents up to Gettysburg. This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and the nice visitor's center is new since we last took my Dad in 2007. This was my Mom's first visit and they both thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
 
 

After the visitor's center and a picnic lunch, we took the audio tour in our own car to the various parts of the battlefield. It is always so humbling to visit those sites and it made us all more appreciative of those who have fought to keep our country free.

On our way home from Gettysburg, we stopped at Misty Meadows Creamery, one of our favorite ice cream places.


The kids always enjoy not only the ice cream, but also all the toys, activities and petting zoo areas that they have there.
 
 

Sure do love my Mom and all those little kidlets!

We spent Wednesday doing Meals on Wheels (my Dad loved helping me deliver meals to all my regulars.) Then that night we took a trip down to Martinsburg, WV. We are currently in the process of convincing my parents to move out East and that area is only about 30 minutes from our house and has a similar cost of living to where they live now in Colorado. I would love to have my parents live closer so we did all we could to convince them of this while they were here!!

On Thursday, we spent the morning at Greenbrier State Park, enjoying the lake. My Dad found it so relaxing that he actually fell asleep a few times in his beach chair.

  Nolan loved being back at the lake (the ocean was a bit scarier with all that wave action!)

Can you see our Sea Turtle creation?

That night we took my parents to City Park. The weather was perfect, the kids enjoyed all the playground equipment, the Maryland Orchestra was playing in the background, and the lightning bugs abounded. It was just a perfect night to be at City Park!

The next morning we departed on our grand adventure north!

(To be continued...)



1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

Wow, it sounds like you guys did a great job informing your parents of all the wonderful things they could do and where they could live. I hope they are able to move closer.