Sunday, September 23, 2007

Running: The Agony of da Feet!

I know all of my fans out there are probably wondering about how my marathon training has been going (humor me, will you?) Up until yesterday, I would have said pretty darn good. I have battled a few hip issues (still sore, but manageable) but other than that, I have felt really good through all of my runs. Yesterday was a 14-miler which was kind of exciting since that would be the farthest I had ever run and it was finally a distance that was over the halfway point of the marathon (kinda scary, huh?)

The next portion of this blog entry may be a little too much information for some people, especially if you don't like hearing about what starts to happen to the human body after hours of running. If that applies to you, please stop here!

Anyway, Saturday started out pretty well. I woke up fairly early and got out the door before the sun was up. My hip was pretty stiff at the beginning but I knew that usually by mile 3 or 4 it would start to feel a lot better so I kept going. The previous day I had battled a few "intestinal issues" (i.e. think my early days as a missionary in Brazil and you will get the idea), but I was hoping that those problems weren't going to plague me today. Let's just say though, that by mile 4, I was literally praying for a toilet. It took just about every ounce of energy I had to hold it all in. Miraculously, there was a flea market on the side of the road and I saw to my great relief that there were some port-a-potties in the parking lot. I quickly ran over, checked to be sure it was stocked with toilet paper (another lesson I learned from the mission) and finally felt some relief. I knew that I was at least 4 miles from home at this point, so I just hoped that I wouldn't have any more issues and that I could complete the entire 14 miles so I kept on going. I felt good until mile 8 when I noticed that the inside seam of my running shorts was starting to become a bit bothersome (note to all: anything that can chafe, will chafe during long runs). But there wasn't a whole lot that I could do but keep running. I chose a different route for that day's run and came across some pretty nasty hills along the way, some so steep that it was all I could do to slowly walk up them. By mile 10, I was just zapped. My legs felt rubbery, I was weak and I was also starting to run low on water. I am definitely not a quitter (which sometimes isn't always a good thing) so I continued to run, trot, limp and crawl along until I finally finished the entire 14 miles.

So why do I share these things with you all? I'm not entirely sure, just that I needed somewhere to express what an utterly awful experience that was. It could probably go down as one of my worst runs ever and that's saying a lot because I've endured several doozies during my last 10+ years of running. But despite the sore hip, the diarrhea, the horrible chaffing, the excruciating hills, the dehydration and the overall dreadful nature of this particular run, I still finished and that, ladies and gentleman, is quite the accomplishment.

So what next....Well maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I'll just keep on running and hope things are a bit better for next week. After all, next week is 16 miles...AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

6 comments:

Jami said...

I think you are crazy but also amazing. Congrates on actually finishing. I would have been done after mile 2. haha!

Rachel B. said...

Okay, go back and read your line about "despite the sore hip, the diarrhea, the chaffing..." So why are you doing this??? No, I actually am extremely impressed. You're probably the most determined person I've ever known. My brother David is training for a marathon right now too and he has been running in 107 degree Vegas heat. He calculated that he drinks up to 3 gallons of water on each of his runs. Shelley's training for one right now too. You're all crazy...and amazing!

Alona said...

Way to go, Dadra! I know about the chaffing from the 1/2 I ran! I'm super impressed! Keep up the good work!

Steph Thomas said...

I can sort of sympathize with you except I am not quite as crazy as you I mean determined. A couple weeks ago we wanted to take a walk cause what else can you do on Sunday right? Well, we had stomach problems the night before but we thought we were done. We went walking and I wanted to walk a long ways so we could go see some new houses. Luckily the feeling of my stomach doing funny things happened before we got all the way there. We turned around immediately and came home. When we got to our driveway I ran into our house, I don't know how you were able to keep running because running seemed worse for me and I was only running in my house. You are truly AMAZING. I wish I liked to run but I would rather play a sport for exercise then run.

Stephanie said...

Dadra hon, I am not going to lie, the intestinal problems will get worse. When I ran my marathon I thought it was weird they had so many port-a-pottys set up because I had not experienced the need to go to the bathroom during a run, even my 20 miler, but the marathon was a different story. Some people did not want to wait in the long lines, or couldn't, so they just went on the side of the road! And after you complete the marathon you will have to go to the bathroom every half hour. And we choose to do this to our bodies! I say this because you are getting ready for the marathon in more ways than just the running, congratulations! Isn't it fun?

Heidi said...

My goodness. Another reason (perhaps the best reason) I will never a marathon. You are right, you are not a quitter. Good for you! Someday when I teach my kids about determination I will tell them the story of Dadra the marathon runner and all her preparation :o). So, when is the big day?