Thursday, May 9, 2013

Our Abby

Time for a little coverage of what our Abby girl has been up to this last month.
 
She was finally chosen as the spotlight child in April and got to make this fun poster. I love how under "My friends are..." she started to write a few names and then wrote "Everybody" (oh how I hope she can love all of her classmates forever!) And then under "Favorite Food" she stated "Hold it right there I like every food!!!! That's all I have to say about that. Close it." (She thought this was so hilarious and I loved how funny she thought it was!) We actually had a long and heart-warming talk one night about being an art teacher (it has been what she wants to be for a long time.) We talked about how important it is to get a good education so that you can do something that you will really enjoy but how I hoped that she would be able to stay at home with her children if that was an option. She got pretty emotional at one point, saying how badly she wanted to be an art teacher. I shared with her how much I love being a mother and how it is such an important job, but how we also don't know what will happen in life and we should be prepared for however our lives turn out. We talked about her aunt who isn't married, her aunt who is married but doesn't have children and her aunt who is divorced with three young children to provide for. I shared with her how grateful I was for my college degree and how it gives our family a safety net if something were to happen to Daddy or to his job and it gives me something to fall back on if I decide to return to the workforce again once our children are grown. It was a heartfelt and deep conversation with my little girl and I hope she left feeling my love for her and also with the realization that no matter what I could have done with my life, I am so grateful that I have the precious opportunity to be a stay-at-home mom.
 
A couple of weeks ago, the entire first grade put on a beach-themed choir concert. Abby chose her outfit carefully and then gave me her best "beach" pose...
 
They sang about 10 different songs and Abby even got to play one of the xylophones for one of them...
 
 
 It was a super cute concert and got us all ready and excited for summer!
 
Abby also started competitive gymnastics at the end of April. She is on the Mason-Dixon Level A team and is super excited about the opportunity to compete (the competition season starts in November.) She practices once a week for 3 hours and is loving it so far. She is really hoping to win a trophy next year and we are hoping just to be able to afford it all (gymnastics is NOT a cheap sport!) We are happy that she is enjoying it so much and are amazed at all she has learned just this last year. She is incredibly flexible and has the perfect build of a little gymnast. Here's to many more hours of flipping, jumping and cartwheels!

1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

That is awesome you had such a great heart to heart talk. You are such a great mom.
I loved going to Matthew's little concert so I am sure you did too. I love her best beach pose.