Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Blogger's Perspective

Anybody who knows me, knows I'm a pretty optimistic person. Sure I have my down days, but I really do try to look on the bright side of things. I think this carries over into the things that I choose to blog about. I use this blog as our family history and looking back I realize that most of the posts I choose to include are about good, fun and exciting moments in our lives. However, our lives aren't always like that. When looking at these photos I took last Sunday, I realized that they sometimes depict the "blogger's perspective" on life.
 
Take this first picture. This one represents what I choose to portray on the blog for the most part (a cute sweet, smiling boy in his Sunday best!) Life is great, fabulous, full of fun and nary a problem in the world!!
 
 
However, this photo displays the "whole" picture a bit more accurately...
 
Our lives on this blog may come across as a bit idealistic, but don't let that fool you. We often are bored, whiny, tired, snappy, frustrated, sad (or caught with our pants off...more figurative for the rest of us, very literally for Mr. Nolan!)
 
Parenthood is great, but it is also hard...VERY hard at times! It requires a lot of patience, sacrifice, meekness, tears and there are days where I just want to curl up on my bed and forget it all. Bedtime is often "the most wonderful TIME of the DAY" around these parts!! This picture represents these particular days very well...
 
  But despite all the hardness that parenthood entails, it is also very, very good. I have never laughed as hard or loved as much as I do as a mom. The joy of watching a child discover the amazing world around them, or learn to read, or ride a bike for the first time, or tell a funny joke, etc. etc. Those things make all the hard things worth it.
 
So I probably won't change the scope of this blog. I do tend to look on the bright side of things and honestly those are the things I want to remember as I grow older. But just so you know, our "real" lives are every bit as challenging as anybody with small children can attest. Perhaps if we had all known how difficult parenthood would be, we never would have jumped on board. But then we would have really missed out on the most amazing adventure this world has to offer!!
 
 

And to all the Moms and Mom-like figures in our lives...

Happy Mother's Day!!

 
"Do the best you can through these years, but whatever else you do, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones...Mothers, we acknowledge and esteem your faith in every footstep. Please know that it is worth it then, now, and forever...May I say to mothers collectively, in the name of the Lord, you are magnificent. You are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you...You are doing God’s work. You are doing it wonderfully well. He is blessing you and He will bless you, even—no, especially—when your days and your nights may be the most challenging. Like the woman who anonymously, meekly, perhaps even with hesitation and some embarrassment, fought her way through the crowd just to touch the hem of the Master’s garment, so Christ will say to the women who worry and wonder and sometimes weep over their responsibility as mothers, “Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.”  And it will make your children whole as well."
 
-- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
"Because She Is a Mother"
 (Love this talk!!)
 
 

3 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

I am glad to know you have bad days too. It is good to know you have a REAL life. Thanks for posting this:)

Rachel B. said...

Haha, love those first pictures. They extra made me laugh because in my last post (the one announcing baby's gender), Tom couldn't stop laughing at me because I was wearing pink, striped pajama pants. It was the end of the day and I was uncomfortable in jeans and I figured they would be cropped out anyway! It's so true that blogging can be tricky as far as portraying the good. That's just the nature of it, I guess. I mean, it's not likely that I would get on and post about my latest fight with Tom or when I yelled at my kids earlier that day. Keep on postin' how you are, Dadra! I'm so very glad that you are still blogging! It makes me SO SAD how few people are still doing it regularly.

Marissa Marie said...

You are such a good writer Dadra! I think the picture without the pants is cuter, and definitely funnier, than the cropped picture. :)