Sunday, June 21, 2015

Minecraft Mania!

When Landon first told me that he would like a Minecraft party for his birthday, I was a little scared. I had no idea what the game was about and had no clue how I would entertain 12 7-year-old boys for two hours with this theme. After doing lots of Googling however, I came up with my own version of foods, games and entertainment and actually had a pretty great time planning this party.

There is hardly anything you can buy outright for a Minecraft party so I had to make most of the decorations, labels, and activities myself. 

The food was pretty easy since I guess there are certain items in the game like chicken, apples, sticks (pretzels), melon, and carrots so that is what we went with.



I also learned after last year's party that juice is a really bad idea since there will always be some spilling so we went with bottled water this time (or "Potion of Healing" if you will!!)

My sweet neighbor helped me make the cupcakes and decorated the Rice Krispies too!


After each of the games/activities, each boy got to pick out their prize from the prize table...






I had a fun time coming up with all of the decor around the house...



The "goodie bag" table...

Some of the activities included a homemade "Creeper" pinata...


All the kids got to take three whacks at it with a pickax. Luckily it made it through all the kids plus some siblings before falling apart!

We "mined" for gold with our homemade pickax and covered up cereal boxes (the kids LOVED this one!)



Inside each of these boxes was a gold nugget (filled with gold Rolos) and a homemade perler bead necklace depicting one of five characters from Minecraft. The characters picked determined the teams for the next activity which was making shapes out of these boxes that could be found all over the house...

Each team was given a card displaying their finished design and they had to find the correct boxes and put it in the correct order. Whoever completed their project first, won the game!!



Another fun activity was "Digging for Diamonds" (juice filled cups with a jewel hidden inside)...



We also played a rousing game of "Glow in the Dark" Creeper dodgeball in the basement which was another big hit. No pictures of that one though!!

After taking a break for food, we set off some "TNT" using Mentos and Diet Coke...


We then finished the party with cupcakes and opening presents...

It was a pretty epic party and I had a lot of fun putting it all together. Landon had a great time with all of his friends and Abby was convinced that home birthday parties really are the BEST!!

No comments: