Tuesday, November 13, 2007

26.2 Miles...Been There, Run That!!

Saturday was an amazing day. I have wanted to run a marathon for so long, but it was always something do be done in the future. Even when I signed up and started training for it last summer, it still seemed a long time away. Last week, I had a hard time sleeping and was constanly feeling anxious, excited and nervous. I have run three half-marathons in the past and would typically get a little nervous the night before and the morning of, but never something that lasted an entire week! I think that running a marathon was such a huge goal and I was so nervous that something would go wrong that I just couldn't let myself relax. The moment the race started though, all my fears disappeared and I had a great experience. That's not saying it was easy though. Actually I think it ranks as the third hardest thing I have ever done, right behind giving birth to a 9-pound baby and serving an 18-month mission in Brazil. But having all of these complete strangers cheering and encouraging you along during the entire race was amazing and crossing that finish line was just incredible, more than words can even describe.

I ran with my two sisters Lara and Tasha. Lara ran out ahead and set a personal record for her third marathon. Tasha and I ran together from start to finish, and while we didn't finish fast, we did finish strong, and well....we finished which was our number one goal. I was hoping to finish with a better time, but I do have to cut myself some slack. Some of you know, but for those of you that don't know yet, I am almost 3 months pregnant with baby #2. My sister Tasha is 4 1/2 months pregnant also, so just finishing the marathon together was a huge accomplishment. Running a marathon is something that most people don't even attempt to do, and far fewer attempt to do it while pregnant so I am pretty proud of both of us.

Some people have since asked me if I think I will do another one. If you had asked me at mile 23 or 24, I would have said "Never again!" and meant it. But even just three days later, I am already thinking about another one. I think it's kind of like child birth, you need some time to separate yourself from the experience in order to think about doing it again. I will not run another one pregnant, but I would like to see how well I could do when I am not expecting. Only time will tell!!

But no matter if I do another one or not, for the rest of my life I can say that I am a marathon-finisher. And that makes me pretty happy!!



Here are the three of us at the starting line, waiting to begin our long journey through the streets of Richmond, Virginia. We were all pretty excited and nervous, but most of all, we were just ready to get the experience under way.


Here is a picture that Jason took of my least favorite part of the whole race. We ran across this bridge that seemed to be never-ending, especially as we faced some pretty strong winds as we ran across it.



All three of us ran with shirts that said "Dad's Legacy Continues...Fight On!" My dad was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer last July and is now facing the biggest battle of his life. He has always been such a great example to us of love, strength, commitment and dedication so we all decided to run to honor him and the legacy of life and running that he has passed down to each of us. It was very special to have him there, cheering us along. We love you Dad!!

Here is me receiving one of my most cherished possessions now, my finisher's medal. I would wear it everyday if people wouldn't stare at me funny!!


Here are our youngest fans cheering us along...Abby, my nieces Paige and Chloe and my nephew Tyler.


Here is some video of us crossing the starting line, at various points throughout the race and then crossing the finish line.


I do have to give a big shout out to my wonderful husband Jason. He has been my biggest fan and supporter throughout my training and especially on race day. He was there to cheer me on at the beginning, at mile 13, mile 19 and then at the finish. Thank you for your love and support. I appreciate it so much!!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow Dadra you are one tought woman! Running a marathon while three months pregnant...and training for one in the beginning stages of pregnancy...that is awesome! But I have to agree with you...the feeling when you cross the finish line makes it all worth it! Congrats!

Marisa said...

Yay!!!!! I am so proud of you. That is such a huge, huge commitment and accomplishment. I think that's so amazing to be able to say that you have done a marathon. You're a total powerhouse!

Marissa Marie said...

Didn't know you were preggo, congrats! AND...congrats on the marathon!!! You're one tough cookie! I wish I could say I WANTED to do one of those, but it's not something I would consider, three months preggo or not!! You're amazing.

Cranberryfries said...

Incredible! You girls are so awesome and how fun that you could do this with your sisters! Congrats on baby #2!

Stephanie said...

Cogratulations! Wow, running a marathon while three months pregnant, I had a hard time when I wasn't pregnant at all. That is neat your sisters ran it with you. I am proud of you and know you'll do good on another marathon when the time comes. I am still waiting 7 years later to get up to strength to run another one. I bet you'll beat me to it!

Rachel B. said...

Wow, wow, wow! I am seriously so proud of you! What an amazing accomplishment! Especially when you're pregnant! I didn't know Lara was racing too. What a go-getter and fit family!

Amy said...

Holy cow. I am in awe of you and your dedication, perseverance, and hard work. Point simple-you are amazing! I had a friend who wanted me to run a marathon with him and I just laughed at him! But it's always the hardest, most strenuous things that make the biggest impact on us and make us feel the best!! Way to go!

Alona said...

It's so great that you have video of the race! What a great accomplishment! Congrats on the marathon! :) You make me want to do one!

Heidi said...

Holy Cow you did it! Way to go woman. I love that you dedicated the race to your dad. What a great thing your dad passed on to all you girls - a love of running. I hope you are getting some more positive news in that regard these days. You'll have to post an update sometime.