Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Our Big Announcement

So I totally spilled the beans on my last post, but I thought I would share some more details here since it kind of got brushed over by the marathon update.

I took a pregnancy test on September 25th because I was a few days late and am usually pretty spot on regular as far as my cycles go. The only times I have even really been late or skipped have been when I have been training for past half marathons, so even though I was late, I was pretty sure that I wasn't pregnant and chalked it up to my marathon training. As you can see from the clear blue lines though, I was definitely expecting baby #2. I was really excited and I knew Jason would be thrilled to find out the news since he had been ready for #2 basically since Abby was about 2 weeks old!! I put the pregnancy test in a box and wrote "Congrats Dad" on the lid and gave it to him right before we ate dinner that night. Although we were all thrilled with the news, we had experienced two miscarriages in the past so we decided to put off telling most people until after our first doctor's visit and since that was scheduled just one week before the marathon, we decided to wait until after the big run to tell everyone. I am using the term "we" pretty loosely here because while Jason agreed to wait to tell people, it just about killed him to not share the news for over 7 weeks.


Less than a week after we received the positive pregancy test, the morning sickness (or rather "all-day-sickness") began. I never had it too bad, but it was kind of a constant nausea that would last most of the day and into the night. I had a hard time eating anything because nothing sounded good and between marathon training and no appetite, I was feeling pretty ill. I almost threw in the towel for the marathon in mid-October because, as many of you know, morning sickness sometimes makes it hard to even get out of bed in the morning, let alone get out of bed to face a 15-20 mile run. I endured the tough days and about two weeks ago, I started to feel a lot better and on race day, I had absolutely no nausea to contend with which was a small miracle. So far this pregnancy I have lost about 6 pounds and since I started out about 10 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight with Abby, I am hoping that I can postpone maternity clothes for as long as possible.

Everyone told me that I would probably start showing sooner this time around since this was my second, but still no bump yet. We had our first doctor's visit last week and everything looks great. When Abby got to see the ultrasound, we asked her what it was on the screen and she immediately said "Baby." That was pretty impressive because an 11-week old fetus only slightly resembles an actual baby. But then she said something that floored all of us, including the doctor and the nurse. She looked at the ultrasound picture and said "Baby in the water." We either have a really smart baby that could tell from a grainy picture that this little blob was a baby in the water, or she recalls her own fond memories of swimming around in mommy's tummy. Either way, we think she's a little genius!

We are thrilled about welcoming our second baby into our home on or around May 31, 2008, my official due date. I am also excited about not having to endure the last trimester of pregnancy in the heat of the summer. Jason is convinced that this one is a boy, I am kind of hoping for another girl, but all both of us really want is a healthy baby. And if he/she could be as wonderful as Abby has been, we would consider ourselves to be very lucky!

6 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Let me be the first to say (at least on this blog entry *grin*) CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's so exciting for you! Wow--TWO kids, huh? As we're just coming out of the newborn stage--that seems like a feat as challenging as a marathon. But you're obviously up for it! Thank goodness your morning sickness went away before the big marathon. Make sure you keep us posted on when you find out if it's a boy or a girl! I'm super excited for you!

Marissa Marie said...

Wow, the incredible shrinking Dadra! Most people gain weight when they're preggo, right? :-) I'm so glad that things are going well for you. And that the morning sickness phase has passed! I guess my little sister didn't get sick AT ALL. I didn't know that was possible.

Marisa said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so thrilled for you guys. I have not idea how you did a marathon being pregnant--you really are wonder woman.

Jami said...

Congrats! Wow you beat me to it. Now our #2 won't be the the Same age.

Alona said...

Super exciting news! Congratulations!