Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas Facts

A friend of mine sent this to me in an email, and since she said that I was the person most likely to respond, I couldn't dissapoint!! And I even decided to do it on my blog rather than through email so the whole wide world could see it (okay, so maybe just the two people who actually read this blog) but still, here goes...


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I definitely prefer wrapping paper for Christmas gifts.

2. Real tree or Artificial? I grew up only having an artificial tree so I guess that is what I prefer. It just seems easier, more cost efficient and less messy. Jason would really like to get a real tree though since that is what he grew up with so maybe we'll trade off each year or something. We were actually going to get a real tree this year but we had a really bad wind storm the day before we were shopping for trees and it blew off a lot of the branches, making them look more like the "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree, pretty pathetic looking, so we ended up going with an artificial.

3. When do you put up the tree? Growing up it was always the weekend after Thanksgiving (another nice thing about having an artificial tree). This year we just put it up last week.

4. When do you take the tree down? Usually sometime after New Year's Day.

5. Do you like egg nog? I guess I used to love, love, love it as a child. Then one year I drank so much that I threw up. Haven't touched it since.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Probably a Cabbage Patch doll with all the accesories (my mom usually made the clothes for them). We actually got one for Abby this year in preparation for the upcoming baby! Also, probably the most memorable gift wasn't when I was a child (I think I was around 20 or so). It was when my sister Lara and her husband Ben bought my entire family tickets for a cruise. That was so much fun and totally unexpected.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, I have one that I brought back from Brazil that means a lot to me.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Jason's parents. I never know quite what they would like.

9. Easiest person to buy for? Abby is definitely the easiest right now. She would probably be happy with just the boxes that the gifts come in.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I prefer mailed Christmas cards. It just seems more personal.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can't think of anything specific. I have definitely gotten many gifts that I have never really used (just ask my husband) but nothing that I can remember as being really awful.

12. Favorite Christmas movie? I really like the classics ("It's a Wonderful Like", "Miracle on 34th Street", etc.) I also like "A Christmas Story" because it reminds me of what I think my dad was like when he was a kid. But probably my favorite would have to be "A Christmas Carol" (the George C. Scott version) because that was always a Christmas Eve tradition.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I'd like to be able to say early in the year, but usually I don't start any shopping until after Thanksgiving.

14 . Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I know I have, I just can't remember to or from whom.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Magic cookie bars, again a family tradition.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I think clear lights look more elegant so that is what we currently have, although I grew up with colored lights.

17. Favorite Christmas song? I seriously like so many that it would be tough to pick. I really love "O Holy Night" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentelmen"...but this year I would have to say "Little Drummer Boy", "Silent Night" and "Jingle Bells" because Abby loves these three and she can sing a lot of the words. It is just too cute!

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We think this will be our last year traveling. We are leaving for Texas on Saturday but will be home before Christmas so technically we'll have our first Christmas at home since being married. Next year, we just think it will be too hard with two kids (and one we will actually have to buy a plane ticket for, yikes!)

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, & Blitzen, & Rudolph (the most famous of all!) I just copied these from Stephanie. Good thing she knows, because I'm sure I would have forgotten a couple.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star, although we have nothing on top of ours right now.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? The bulk of the Christmas presents we open on Christmas day. On Christmas Eve we always opened up a pair of pajamas that we would take a bazillion pictures in (those of you who know my mom wouldn't be surprised at that) then we would get to sleep in them for the first time that night. We are continuing this tradition with Abby and just got her the most adorable cloud flannel pajamas to wrap up this year.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? I guess it can get kind of busy, but I really enjoy this season so I just try to focus on all the great things.

23. Favorite ornament, theme or color? Growing up we always got an ornament we picked out each year. My mom would write our name and the year on it and then when we got married, we got to take our ornaments with us. Probably my favorite one is this gold-colored reindeer one that I still think is really pretty (I think I was 10 or so when I got it). We are still kind of doing that now, although it's more of a family ornament each year rather than an individual one. Maybe now that Abby is a little older, we will start doing individual ones too.

24. Favorite Christmas dinner? On Christmas Eve, we always ordered pizza (yummy) and then we would always have a really nice breakfast after opening up all the gifts. Dinner was usually kind of like Thanksgiving (turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, rolls, etc.) although when I think of Christmas foods, I usually think of ordered pizza and yummy breakfast!

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I already got what a really wanted, a nice (really expensive pair) of new running shoes. Some new workout clothes would be nice and maybe a new MP3 player...notice a theme? Hello, my name is Dadra and I am an exercise-aholic.

26. Who is most likely to respond to this? Well I am hoping some of you who read this blog will do your own versions of this little questionnaire. I actually find them quite interesting to read about other people, and I almost always learn a little something about myself too.

27. Who is least likely to respond to this? Well, since the majority of the world won't see this, I would say them!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

2 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Dangit, I had so many things pop into my head as I read through this that I wanted to comment on and now I can't remember any of them! Oh, one thing I do remember is how I can totally picture your mom going crazy taking pictures of you Christmas Eve in your PJ's. And the story about getting sick off egg nog is funny. I did that one year with cinnamon binaca (sp?). Sprayed way to much under my tongue and now I hate cinnamon flavor. I'm sad you are leaving on Saturday. You'll just get our Christmas card after Christmas. We're a little slow I guess.

Stephanie said...

I am reading all of this late; things have been busy with family in town and the holidays, but did you get what you wished for? I got a lot of exercise equipment- a treadmill, running shoes, weights, so I am really excited to use them. However, at this pont Katie uses the treadmill more than me because she is in love with running on it. Silly girl. Abby will probably be the same with you and any shoes or exercise equipment you get as well. I can see her taking after her mom!